MANILA (Mabuhay) — Benhur Luy, the principal witness in the alleged P10-billion pork barrel scam, had resisted being rescued by National Bureau of Investigation agents on March 22, 2013 at the Pacific Plaza Towers condominium in Taguig City, a defense witness told a Makati court on Tuesday.
The camp of Janet Lim-Napoles presented Ferdinand Masayon, the on-duty security guard at the time of Luy’s rescue, before Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 150 Judge Elmo Alameda.
Taking the witness stand, Masayon recalled that when the NBI agents approached Luy, the whistleblower ‘resisted’ being taken by them.
“Nagpupumiglas siya [Luy] … ayaw niyang sumama sa NBI,” Masayon said when asked of Luy’s reaction on the rescue.
He added that Luy even shouted: “Walang kasalanan si Sir Jojo (Reynald Lim), at hindi raw siya kinidnap.”
In his testimony, Masayon recalled that Luy’s Luy arrived at the condominium at 8:14 p.m.
He said Reynald Lim, Napoles’ brother, had earlier informed him of the arrival of the Luy family.
“Ako ang nagpapasok sa kanila kasi ‘yon ang utos ni Sir Jojo (Reynald Lim),” he said. “Pero hanggang sa lobby ko lang sila sinamahan.”
He added that after a few minutes, a group of people, who identified themselves as NBI agents, arrived at the condominium, demanding to enter and rescue Luy.
Masayon said he had asked the advice of his supervisor, Feliciano Alcantara, whether to let the agents enter the the condominium unit.
Alcantara then advised him to inform Lim, he added.
“Tinawag ko at sinabi kong may bisita siya — hindi ko sinabing NBI — at sabi naman niyang papasukin,” he noted.
He then accompanied the five agents to Lim’s condominium unit.
“Sa lima, tatlo lang ang pumasok,” he said. “Doon po siya nakaupo sa sofa, sa loob ng unit of south garden, na pinagmay-ari ni Jojo Lim.”
It was then that Masayon said Luy appeared to resist being rescued by the NBI agents.
Napoles and her brother Reynald “Jojo” Lim are charged with serious illegal detention involving Luy.
Napoles is accused of taking Luy, the principal witness in the alleged pork barrel scam, against his will and detaining him inside her condominium unit in Taguig City.
The court entered a not guilty plea for Napoles on Sept. 23, 2013 after she refused to enter any plea during her arraignment. She is currently detained at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig, this time in connection with the plunder and graft cases she is facing before the Sandiganbayan.
Lim, on the other hand, remains at large.(MNS)