(818) 552-4503

VP Binay ready to face Aquino in 2016 elections

Posted On 2014 Aug 19
Comment: Off
President Benigno S. Aquino III receives a warm welcome from the locals during the Inauguration of the Ninoy Aquino Bridge and its Connecting Road Networks in Barangay San Luis, Tuao, Cagayan on Monday (August 18, 2014). The newly constructed 360-meter Ninoy Aquino Bridge across the Chico River, costs P599.40 million, is connected to two other small bridges, the 40-meter Malummin and the 20-meterAngag bridge.

President Benigno S. Aquino III receives a warm welcome from the locals during the Inauguration of the Ninoy Aquino Bridge and its Connecting Road Networks in Barangay San Luis, Tuao, Cagayan on Monday (August 18, 2014). The newly constructed 360-meter Ninoy Aquino Bridge across the Chico River, costs P599.40 million, is connected to two other small bridges, the 40-meter Malummin and the 20-meterAngag bridge.

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Vice President Jejomar Binay said he is ready to square off with President Benigno Aquino III in 2016 should the Chief Executive decide to run for reelection.

“Opo,” Binay told reporters on Friday when asked if he would still run for the country’s highest post in case Aquino decides to run too in 2016.

He said it has always been his dream to become President. “2010 pa sabi ko naman sa inyo kayong mga media tanong ng tanong, sabi ko, ‘Opo, bata pa ako pinangarap ko na.’”

“Naghanda naman po ako rito, nakapag-aral naman ako. Pangalawa, ako naman ay dalawampu’t isang taong mayor. Kaya dadalhin ko sa pwesto ng pagkapangulo ang aking kahinatnan at kakayahan,” he said.

However, Binay thinks a battle between him and Aquino is far-fetched. He said he does not believe the President will seek a term extension through Charter change.

While he strongly disagrees with Aquino’s new stance on Charter change, he lays the blame squarely on the President’s advisers.

Ang pagkakatanda ko sabi ni Presidente magkukonsulta siya sa kaniyang mga bossing. Okay lang yun. Pero sana huwag siyang magpadala doon sa kaniyang makakausap na may mga interes at may mga problema sa kinabukasan,” he said.

Saka pangalawa, sana itong pag-aamyenda ng Constitution na sinasabi ay huwag naman sanang mapunta na lalaki pa ang problema ng executive department at saka ng judiciary, ng Supreme Court,” he added.

Aquino on Wednesday said he was considering constitutional changes, including the adjustment of term limits for officials as well as clipping the powers of the Supreme Court.

The 1987 Constitution limits the President to a single six-year term.

Meanwhile, the vice president branded as “politically motivated” the accusation of Senator Antonio Trillanes that the building in Makati constructed during his term as city mayor was overpriced.

Basta yun ay politically-motivated. Hindi ho totoong may kasalanang ginawa ang mga namumuno sa Makati sa paggawa nung building. In the first place, hindi po yun parking lang. Yun po ay gusali, tanggapan ng mga empleyado.”

He added that the Commission on Audit (COA) had already ruled that there was nothing anomalous about the construction. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts