The Music Center invites the community to “10 Times the Party,” free public block party celebration for Walt Disney Concert Hall’s 10th Anniversary
– The Music Center Partners with New York’s Improv Everywhere to Stage Los Angeles’ First-Ever Public “Mp3 Experiment” –
– 10 Ways to Party on Grand Avenue Include Dancing, Music from Los Texmaniacs and Pacifico Dance Company, Hands-On Arts Workshops and Special Surprises –
LOS ANGELES (September 17, 2013) – The Music Center today announced “10 Times the Party,” a multi-dimensional public extravaganza on Saturday, October 5, 2013 from 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. that celebrates the 10th anniversary of The Music Center’s Walt Disney Concert Hall (WDCH). Shutting down Grand Avenue in front of the concert hall in block party fashion, “10 Times the Party” offers the community ten distinctive and highly interactive ways to salute the concert hall’s first decade and its important role as part of Los Angeles’ premier performing arts center. Guests at “10 Times the Party” will be treated to two signature Music Center programs, A Taste of Dance and World City, which also salute Latino Heritage Month; the opportunity to be a part of Los Angeles’ first public Mp3 Experiment, “Mp3 Los Angeles,” a participatory public event created by The Music Center in collaboration with Improv Everywhere; and other special surprises.
The ten ways to celebrate include:
1. DANCING at A Taste of Dance: Tex, Mex & Tex-Mex, free 20-minute dance lessons to learn up to eight different styles, such as Tejano Cumbia, Danza de los Viejitos, Pasito Duranguese, and many more throughout the day on dance floors set up right on Grand Avenue. No experience necessary.
2. LISTENING TO MUSIC at World City, featuring Grammy Award-winning Los Texmaniacs, which incorporates elements of rock and jazz into Tex-Mex conjunto, and California’s premiere folklorico ensemble, Pacifico Dance Company, in free performances for people of all ages in Walt Disney Concert Hall’s W.M. Keck Foundation Children’s Amphitheatre, plus visual arts workshops in Tex-Mex culture in the Blue Ribbon Garden.
3. GETTING CREATIVE at a Sketching WDCH Workshop on Grand Avenue.
4. GETTING CREATIVE at a WDCH Rose Fountain Ceramics Workshop on Grand Avenue.
5. GETTING CREATIVE at a WDCH Pop-up Cards Workshop on Grand Avenue.
6. GETTING CREATIVE at a WDCH-Inspired Party Hats Workshop on Grand Avenue.
7. SHARING UNEXPECTED MOMENTS AND HILARITY as the crowd joins in an interactive event called “Mp3 Los Angeles,” all together and in sync on Grand Avenue; interested participants should download the LA Mp3
Experiment in advance at http://improveverywhere.com/mp3losangeles/
8. SAVORING delicious 10th anniversary cupcakes.
9. LISTENING AND DANCING to the tunes of a DJ on Grand Avenue.
10. EATING at a variety of Los Angeles popular food trucks.
“During the past decade, Walt Disney Concert Hall has become a vital part of Los Angeles County, as home to the LA Phil, and an inspiration to many,” said Stephen D. Rountree, president and CEO, The Music Center. “‘10 Times the Party’ party honors the many ways the concert hall has contributed artistically and aesthetically to the community as a whole.”
“10 Times the Party” will be the site for the Mp3 Experiment, “Mp3 Los Angeles,” in which the public participates together in a synchronized series of unexpected activities. Anyone can join in by downloading an original mp3 file online and adding it to a mobile device or mp3 player. Participants then synchronize their watches to an atomic clock on the Improv Everywhere website, head out to Walt Disney Concert Hall and blend in with others. At a predetermined time, participants press “play.” Hilarity ensues as participants carry out ridiculous, coordinated instructions delivered to their headphones via narrator “Steve,” while onlookers try to determine what is happening.
For more information about “10 Times the Party,” visit http://musiccenter.org/10 or call (213) 972-3660.
About The Music Center
A leader at the cultural heart of Los Angeles County, The Music Center brings to life one of the world’s premier arts destinations by creating opportunities for arts participation, enabling compelling programming and providing first-class venues and services. The Music Center is one of the largest and most highly regarded performing arts centers in the country, creating a cultural hub that is central to L.A.’s status as “the creative capital” of the world. Celebrated for its illustrious dance programming Glorya Kaufman Presents Dance at The Music Center and home to four world class resident companies – Center Theatre Group, LA Opera, LA Phil and Los Angeles Master Chorale – The Music Center is the place to experience the most innovative and critically-acclaimed performing arts in the nation. In its effort to extend the reach and accessibility of the performing arts, The Music Center is a national model for experiences in which people participate directly through its Active Arts® at The Music Center. As well, The Music Center presents special productions, events and festivals for children and families, including World City™ at The Music Center. Each year, more than one million audience members delight in the excitement of live performances on The Music Center’s stages and enjoy free community arts events all year long across its outdoor campus. The Music Center is also on the forefront of arts education in Los Angeles, providing arts resources to students and teachers in schools and community centers throughout the region.
For more information, visit http://www.musiccenter.org and follow The Music Center on Facebook and Twitter (@MusicCenterLA).
About Improv Everywhere
Based in New York, Improv Everywhere causes scenes of chaos and joy in public places and has executed more than 100 missions involving thousands of undercover agents, including the legendary Grand Central Freeze and the infamous No Pants Subway Ride. The group’s videos have received more than 300 million views online.
The Music Center Presents “10 Times the Party,” a free anniversary celebration for Walt Disney Concert Hall October 5, 2013, 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. 111 S. Grand Avenue – on the street in front of Walt Disney Concert Hall and in the W.M. Keck Foundation Children’s Amphitheatre
Free event All ages, all access
A Taste of Dance – on Grand Avenue
10:30 a.m. – 1:20 p.m. Eight dance styles taught on four dance floors. Free; tickets required.
10th Anniversary Visual Arts Workshops – on Grand Avenue
10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Sketching WDCH Sketching Workshop, WDCH Rose Fountain Ceramics Workshop, WDCH Pop-up Cards Workshop and WDCH-Inspired Party Hats Workshop
World City – Los Texmaniacs & Pacifico Dance Company
11:00 a.m. – noon 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Performances in the W.M. Keck Foundation Children’s Amphitheatre Visual arts workshops 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. in the Blue Ribbon Garden
Mp3 Los Angeles
DJ + Free Cupcakes 2:05 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
For more information, visit http://musiccenter.org/10 or call (213) 972-3660.