New York, NY – November 21, 2012 – The search for the top 10 exemplary Filipino-American candidates for the inaugural corps of Teach for the Philippines has been extended to Friday, December 14, 2012. Teach for the Philippines (www.teachforthephilippines.
Teach for the Philippines formally launched in August of this year as the 25th partner of the Teach for All network. Similar to Teach for America, Teach for the Philippines recruits the most promising young leaders to commit to two years of teaching in under-resourced schools. Teaching fellows are recruited based on proven academic and leadership record as well as problem-solving abilities and are not required to have Education degrees. Teaching fellows will undergo rigorous training on Educational Psychology as well as Classroom Management when the program begins in April 2013 before they are assigned to different public school classrooms in the Philippines in June 2013. Teach for the Philippines Fellows will be paid a monthly allowance. They will also receive a stipend during the eight-week Summer Institute in addition to all associated costs being fully subsidized.
Qualifications for Teach for the Philippines teaching fellows are as follows:
- Have evidence of outstanding achievements and an excellent academic, professional, and extra-curricular track record
- Are committed to the mission, vision, and goals of Teach for the Philippines as well as to making a long-term impact in the country’s education sector
- Are able to effectively communicate, persuade, motivate, and interact with others to resolve conflicts in challenging environments
- Possess excellent problem-solving, organizational, and planning skills, as well as critical thinking and creativity
- Are determined, resilient, humble, and extremely motivated
- Appreciate diversity and respect others.
Eligible applicants must be:
- Graduates of an accredited college or university by April 1, 2013
- Filipino citizens or have the right to Filipino citizenship (at least one parent must be a Filipino citizen)
- Willing to make a full-time commitment to teaching and living in one of our placement cities starting June 2013
- Fluent in written and verbal English and conversational in Filipino
The initial teaching corps will consist of 40 fellows who are currently Philippine residents and 10 overseas fellows who will return to the Philippines for the two-year commitment. Interested applicants can visitwww.teachforthephilippines.org and click on “Apply Now”. The deadline for US-based applicants is on December 14, 2012, at 11:59PM EST. Applicants who advance to the in-person interview process will be notified by December 21st.
Teach for the Philippines Contact Information: