MANILA (Mabuhay) -– At least 140 people have been injured due to firecrackers as of 6 a.m. Friday including one boy who lost his right hand due to the illegal firecracker “Super Yolanda”, the Department of Health said.
DOH Assistant Secretary Eric Tayag, in his official Twitter account, said 134 people sustained wounds from firecrackers, 5 were hit by stray bullets, and only one ingested a firecracker.
Tayag said this figure is slightly lower compared to the 146 injuries reported in the same period last year.
He said of the 134 firecracker injuries, 82 were due to the banned firecracker Piccolo.
Tayag said in Iloilo, a five-year-old boy lost his right hand index finger after using a “camara” or small dynamite.
A 14-year-old boy in Cebu City, meanwhile, had his right hand amputated after using illegal firecracker “Super Yolanda.”
Last year, the DOH recorded a total of 931 firecracker-related injuries: 904 were due to fireworks, 25 from stray bullet and 2 from firecracker ingestion.
Most injuries were caused by piccolo (236), followed by unknown firecrackers (143), kwitis (128), five star (55) and pla-pla (42).(MNS)