(818) 552-4503

Pro-Aquino reformists also reject pork barrel

Posted On 2014 Aug 28
Comment: Off
President Benigno S. Aquino III leads the singing of the Philippine National Anthem during the Inauguration of Ciudad de Victoria (City of Victory) in Bocaue, Bulacan on Monday (July 21). Ciudad de Victoria is a 50-hectare tourism enterprise zone established by the Iglesia Ni Cristo (INC) in time for its centennial celebration on Sunday (July 27). (MNS photo)

President Benigno S. Aquino III leads the singing of the Philippine National Anthem during the Inauguration of Ciudad de Victoria (City of Victory) in Bocaue, Bulacan on Monday (July 21). Ciudad de Victoria is a 50-hectare tourism enterprise zone established by the Iglesia Ni Cristo (INC) in time for its centennial celebration on Sunday (July 27). (MNS photo)

MANILA  (Mabuhay) – They may be more similar than you think.

Leah Navarro, a co-convenor of the Koalisyon ng Mamamayan Para sa Reporma (Kompre), said majority of the group are supportive of the abolition of the priority development assistance funds (PDAF).

“Of course majority of members are anti-PDAF but let us focus more on the reason. It is not PDAF per se. May magagandang proyekto naman ang mga honest na pulitiko. The focus is more on those who misuse the PDAF,” she said.

Navarro said members of Kompre are united in its opposition against giving lawmakers full discretionary powers on lump sum funds.

However, she also said Kompre is supportive of the grassroots participatory process in budgeting that was first proposed as early as 2010.

She said the P20 billion allocation at the barangay level is exactly what the people need since they would know what’s best for their communities.

“We agree that the people should be involved and be proactive,” she said.

In the interview, Navarro also denied that the Kompre launch was timed to coincide with the anti-pork barrel rally in Rizal Park.

Organizers of the anti-pork rally said they gathered up to 20,000 participants but police said only 5,000 showed up.

Navarro said the network had been meeting for the past six months before deciding on the launch. She said the remaining years of President Aquino is like the last two minutes in a ball game.

“The last two minutes is the best time to do the best we can,” she said.(MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts