MANILA, Feb 19 (Mabuhay) — President Benigno Aquino III on Wednesday reassured urban poor communities of the government’s continued efforts to ensure safe and clean shelter for them in the long run.
The President made the reassurance after inspecting the micro medium-rise building model units in Manila’s Sampaloc district.
“Ngayon, ang tutok natin: mas ligtas na tahanan para sa mga residente, malinis at malawak na daluyan ng tubig, at pangmatagalang solusyon sa malawakang pagbaha sa Kamaynilaan (Our efforts are focused on providing residents with safe homes, clean waterways and a long-term solution against flooding),” he said.
He added his administration’s solution differs from the past where families were evicted and have nowhere to go.
Also, he noted the present solution includes ensuring the health of residents in the community.
The President earlier inspected the micro medium-rise building model units, which were constructed starting November 2013 and were completed last January.
Micro-MRBs are meant to maximize the use of urban land and are easier to maintain.
President Aquino said the government is eyeing 167 informal settler families at Estero de San Miguel as beneficiaries of the housing program.
The President also said the government had initially set aside P10 billion to move urban poor families away from danger zones.
So far, he said some 3,400 families had been moved to safer communities, with another 11,000 families within three meters of waterways being targeted by August.
“Makakaasa po kayo: Sa bawat detalye ng ating programa, prayoridad natin ang makabubuti sa mas nakararami (You can be assured every detail of our program prioritizes the greatest good of the greatest number),” he said.(MNS)