MANILA, January 14, 2011 (AFP) – A Philippine policeman surrendered to authorities on Friday after being accused of raping a female street vendor inside Manila’s police headquarters, the government said.
Antonio Bautista, 39, a 10-year veteran of the force, had been on the run after being accused of robbing and raping the woman on New Year’s Eve after her arrest for vagrancy.
A Manila police spokesman said the woman alleged Bautista, a desk officer at the station, raped her at night inside an empty office belonging to a special police task force set up to investigate police abuses.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima told reporters the policeman had surrendered to officials with her department on Friday.
Dennis Wagas, a lawyer with Manila police headquarters, said Bautista was being investigated for rape and robbery, but charges had not yet been laid.
The alleged rape victim is now in the protective custody of senior police, Wagas added.
Meanwhile, national police said Friday another policeman had been sacked after being accused of torturing a detained man in a case that caused public outrage because the alleged beating was filmed and broadcast on television.
Senior Inspector Joselito Binayug was dismissed on Thursday, while eight other members of his former station in a Manila slum are being investigated over the incident, national police spokeswoman Wilma Nolte said.
The video, filmed on a mobile phone, showed a police officer alleged to be Binayug whipping a naked man and pulling a rope tied to the victim’s penis.