MANILA (Mabuhay) – The live streaming by the Supreme Court of the arguments on the petitions challenging the Priority Development Assistance Fund may help the public understand the issue better, Malacañang said Saturday.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the high court had already used other means to bring its proceedings to the public, such as micro-blogging service Twitter.
“Maganda ang ganitong paraan para masubaybayan ng kababayan kung kakayanin ng infrastructure ng PIO [public information office] ng Korte Suprema,” she said on government-run dzRB radio.
Earlier, the high court ordered the live streaming of the oral arguments on petitions challenging the PDAF’s legality. The hearing will be held October 8.
Public outrage had grown against the abuses of the pork barrel system, following reports of a multibillion-peso mess involving fake non-government organizations that siphoned the PDAF funds of some lawmakers.
However, the Palace has been protective of the Disbursement Acceleration Program, which critics had labeled as another pork fund because of the discretion given to lawmakers on which projects some public funds should go to. (MNS)