Reforms in the judiciary is continuing and the Aquino administration remains committed in pushing this initiative, a Palace official said on Wednesday.
A year after former chief justice Renato Corona was convicted by the Senate for not fully disclosing his assets, Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the administration hasn’t wavered in reforming the country’s judiciary.
“It’s still a work in progress,” Valte said in a press conference in Malacanang on Wednesday. “Perhaps, the impact immediately that you could already see is the emphasis given on the filing of SALNs [statements of assets, liabilities and net worth] when it comes to employees of the government. But it is still a work in progress,” she said.
“We hope to continue the reforms that the President has been talking about since he was a candidate for the presidency in May 2010,” Valte said.
In May last year, the Senate, sitting as impeachment court, voted 20-3 to convict Corona for betrayal of public trust and culpable violation of the Philippine Constitution.
The court ruled that Corona was guilty of Article II of the impeachment complaint: the chief magistrate did not fully disclose his assets in his SALN.
Corona’s conviction came at the end of a five-month trial with the entire nation glued to their television sets watching events as they unfolded.
The verdict was seen as a triumph for President Benigno S. Aquino III who campaigned in the 2010 presidential election under the “daang matuwid” reform agenda.
The President never recognized Corona’s appointment as chief justice by then-President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo a few weeks before she stepped down in 2010.