MANILA (Mabuhay) – Malacañang on Monday echoed the earlier statement of the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) that there was no overpayment for Hacienda Luisita, which was distributed to farm workers in October last year.
Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. raised the issue following allegations that the Cojuangco side of President Benigno S. Aquino III’s family was overpaid for the land.
The Hacienda Luisita land was handed out to farm workers in October 2013.
The accusation was brought up by ACT Teachers party-list Rep. Antonio Tinio who claimed that there was overpayment by some P167 million for the land.
Previously, the DAR said that there was no basis to the accusation.
“Ayon sa DAR, walang kalabisan ang pagbabayad sa Hacienda Luisita sapagka’t sinunod nila ang batas hinggil dito,” Coloma said in a text message.
“Kinikilala namin ang karapatan ng Kamara na magsagawa ng pagsisiyasat,” he added. (MNS)