MANILA (Mabuhay) – Malacañang on Monday confirmed Pres. Benigno S. Aquino’s approval of the P4-billion grant for the reconstruction of public infrastructure in typhoon “Yolanda” affected areas in Leyte.
“It was approved in (last) December’s Cabinet meeting and confirmed in (the) Cabinet meeting last Jan 9,” Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma said in a statement.
Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II previously said in radio reports the P4 billion for local governments was part of the P40-billion rehabilitation cost.
This amount was estimated by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) for the entire region.
He also said that the funds are in the form of a grant to allow the local government units (LGUs) to spend their money on “pressing needs”.
The government will meanwhile, shoulder the reconstruction of public markets, civic centers and municipal halls, he noted.
He also noted that the funds were an indication of President Aquino’s commitment to assist “Yolanda”-hit LGUs in their recovery. (MNS)