MANILA (Mabuhay) – The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said Wednesday the total number of evacuation centers still serving Typhoon Glenda victims was down to 108.
In its DSWD twitter account, DSWD Secretary Corazon J. Soliman said that the 108 evacuation centers that are still open are currently housing more than 5,000 families.
According to Soliman, the houses of the remaining evacuees were damaged by the strong winds of ‘Glenda’.
She added that the family evacuees are continuously provided with hot meals.
It likewise distributed non-food items such as mattresses, blankets and tarpaulins, among others.
Repacking of food packs in DSWD Field Offices and National Relief Operation Center still continues.
More than 800,000 families were affected in areas hit by ‘Glenda’ when it entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility and made landfalls last week (July 16).
A total of 3,075 evacuation centers were opened to temporarily house the victims.
Most of the evacuees who heeded the call for pre-emptive evacuation returned home after their towns had been declared safe by authorities.
The Social Welfare and Development (SWAD) Teams of DSWD continue to coordinate with the affected LGUs on the extent of damage and for the provision of other appropriate services for the victims.
To date, more than 400,000 houses were assessed to be partially damaged while close to 100,000 houses were assessed to be totally damaged by the said typhoon which greatly affected areas in Southern Luzon.(MNS)