In an overseas telephone conversation with the Daily Inquirer, Donaire said that he is â€œdoing a little bit of training but will start training camp eight or ten weeks before my fight once I find out the schedule.â€
He said he will return to Manila after his fight which will be before his November 11 church wedding to taekwondo champion and model Rachel Marcial whom he married earlier in a civil ceremony.
Donaire won the WBC/WBO titles with a spectacular 2nd round TKO of Mexican veteran Fernando â€œKO-Chulitoâ€ Montiel at the Mandalay Bay Resort Hotel and Casino last February 19 and received acclaim for his superb performance in the ring.
Donaire said â€œit doesnâ€™t matter whether itâ€™s a tune-up fight or a title fight because once my mind is set and Iâ€™m physically and mentally prepared Iâ€™ll fight anybody.â€
The No. 3 in the pound-for-pound rankings of the prestigious Ring Magazine said â€œI want to get that title in the bantamweight division but if thatâ€™s not possible moving up to 122 (super bantamweight) would be the best solution.â€
A unification title fight against WBA bantamweight champion Anselmo Moreno had been planned for last May but that fell through because of Donaireâ€™s issues with Top Rank and his signing of a contract with Golden Boy Promotions .Arbiter, former judge Daniel Weinstein ruled against Golden Boy negotiating with Top Rank fighters, forcing Donaireâ€™s handlers to resume negotiations with Top Rank about his contract.
Asked who he would prefer to fight at 122, Donaire replied â€œit doesnâ€™t matter really. Arce or anybody.â€ Arce is the current WBO champion after winning the title from Wilfredo Vazquez Jr of Puerto Rico.
Now that his issues with Top Rank had been resolved Donaire said â€œit feels good. I am more focused on boxing again. Training and all that stuff.â€
Admitting that heâ€™s been eating a lot and weighs around 140 pounds, the classy Filipino said â€œthatâ€™s not too bad.â€