(818) 552-4503

New rules for PNP blotter system after Vhong case

Posted On 2014 Feb 11
Comment: Off
Police Deputy Director General Ager P Ontog Jr, Deputy Chief PNP for Operation/ Commander National Task Force SAFE 2013 gives out guidance regarding the deployment of PNP personnel in the field especially in areas vulnerable to attacks of lawless elements in response to the call for Secure and Fair Election (SAFE 2013).

Police Deputy Director General Ager P Ontog Jr, Deputy Chief PNP for Operation/ Commander National Task Force SAFE 2013 gives out guidance regarding the deployment of PNP personnel in the field especially in areas vulnerable to attacks of lawless elements in response to the call for Secure and Fair Election (SAFE 2013).

MANILA  (Mabuhay)  — The Philippine National Police will implement changes in blotter filing procedures after admitting there were lapses in the Vhong Navarro case.

PNP Spokesperson Sr. Supt. Reuben Theodore Sindac said blotter reports will now be received only by police officers capable of investigating cases.

He said blotters can only be processed in “frontline” police stations and not staff offices.

Pinagbawal na niya (PNP Chief Alan Purisima) mag-maintain ng blotter ang anumang staff offices sa PNP organization. Itong mga staff offices sa PNP organization, ito yung mga opisinang naka-suporta sa director,” Sindac said.

He said that aside from police stations, blotter reports may also be handled by PNP units involved in operational and investigative functions such as the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG), Highway Patrol Group, and Anti-Carnapping Unit.

Lahat ng ating mamamayan pinagbibigay alam namin eh pwede pa din dumulog sa lahat ng opisina ng PNP subalit katungkulan ng bawat police personnel na i-refer siya sa tamang unit na makakapag-aksyon ng tamang kaso, katulad nung nangyari sa SPD, dapat dinala nila sa pinakamalapit na presinto ng Taguig Police.”

Navarro has accused businessman Cedric Lee and several others of beating him up, issuing death threats and trying to blackmail him inside the Forbeswood Heights Condominium unit of model Deniece Cornejo in Taguig City last January 22.

Lee and Cornejo, however, claimed that Navarro had been trying to rape Cornejo.

After the mauling incident, Lee and company brought Navarro to the Southern Police District (SPD) District Investigation and Detection Management (DIDM) Division to put the incident in the police blotter. Cornejo refused to file rape charges against Navarro after the actor allegedly begged for forgiveness.

Sindac explained that SPD members who handled Navarro’s blotter should have brought the case to the nearest precinct so it could have been processed effectively.

Five SPD officials and personnel who were on duty when model Deniece Cornejo filed a blotter report against Navarro have been relieved from their posts.

SPD director Chief Superintendent Jose Erwin Villacorte said District Investigation and Detective Management chief Supt. Nelson Bautista and PO3 Dalmacio Lumiuan, who processed the blotter report, were relieved.

Also relieved were PO3 Lory Laureto, PO3 Eugene Pugal, and SPD officer of the day Sr. Insp. Eduardo Alcantara.

Villacorte had said the five policemen will be placed under the District Personnel Holding Unit of SPD, while an investigation by the District Internal Affairs for possible administrative lapses, such as the failure to bring a beaten Navarro to the hospital, is being conducted.

The National Bureau of Investigation has already gotten hold of CCTV footage taken from the Forbeswood Heights Condominium’s lobby and elevator.

The NBI said it was impossible for Navarro to rape Cornejo because the footage showed that she went out of the room even before Lee arrived. Lee thus could not have seen Navarro on top of Cornejo as he has alleged in interviews.  (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts