MANILA (Mabuhay) – At least four people were taken into custody after authorities intercepted a suspected car bomb at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 before dawn Monday.
The incident also prompted NAIA authorities to place the NAIA complex under full alert.
The suspected improvised explosive was found inside a white Revo-type Asian utility vehicle with plate number WMK-129.
Initial information showed the suspected car bomb was intercepted at NAIA-3’s Parking B area at 1:45 a.m.
The National Bureau of Investigation is investigating the four people taken into custody, and follow-up operations are ongoing, the report said.
NAIA security personnel intensified inspections of vehicles entering the airport area following the interception, an updated report by Fernandez said.
However, airport operations were normal and there were no reports of flight delays due to the incident, he added.
Terminal 3 is the hub for Cebu Pacific and several Philippine Airlines flights. Recently, some international carriers transferred their operations to the more modern terminal from the aging NAIA1 terminal.
Plainclothes and uniformed airport security personnel guarded the entrance, while K-9 units were deployed at the entrance to detect explosives.
As this developed, a supposed bomb threat was reported at a school in southern Metro Manila before noon Monday, but no immediate connection to the situation at NAIA has so far been established. (MNS)