(818) 552-4503

Militant youths stage noise barrage at Mendiola, warn vs. selective justice

Posted On 2014 Jun 24
Comment: Off
A Catholic nun is joined by students of St. Scholastica's College as they hold signs and chant slogans to demand the abolition of a misused fund for legislators' pet projects, outside their campus in Manila August 28, 2013. On Monday, tens of thousands Filipinos marched through the centre of Manila and other cities to express indignation at the misuse of "pork barrel" funds under the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF). (MNS photo)

A Catholic nun is joined by students of St. Scholastica’s College as they hold signs and chant slogans to demand the abolition of a misused fund for legislators’ pet projects, outside their campus in Manila August 28, 2013. On Monday, tens of thousands Filipinos marched through the centre of Manila and other cities to express indignation at the misuse of “pork barrel” funds under the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF). (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) − Militant youths on Saturday held a noise barrage at Mendiola Bridge near Malacañang in Manila to warn the government against what they called selective justice in dealing with personalities linked to the P10-billion pork barrel scam.

The protesters from the League of Filipino Students (LFS) called for the prosecution of all involved and not just three senators.

LFS spokesperson Charlotte Velasco said the government should not stop with the filing of charges and the arrest of Senators Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr., Juan Ponce Enrile, and Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada.

Revilla turned himself in to the Sandiganbayan on Friday. He is now detained at the Philippine National Police Custodial Center in Camp Crame.

Last week, The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines lauded the government’s “resolute” efforts to fight graft by filing charges against those involved in the pork barrel scam, but warned against “selective” justice.

“Everybody culpable, whatever their political affiliations may be, should be investigated and, if so warranted, indicted. When justice is selective, it is not justice at all,” CBCP president and Lingayen-Dagupan archbishop Socrates Villegas said.

Militant groups such as the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan also said it is too early to be “celebrating,” and urged the Office of the Ombudsman not to stop its probe of the pork barrel scam at three senators.

“What we’d like to know is if the Ombudsman will stop at the three senators and several other officials. The pork scam involves many officials, including other senators, congressmen and members of (President Benigno Aquino III’s) Cabinet. It is too early to be celebrating anything,” said Bayan secretary general Renato Reyes Jr.  (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts