(818) 552-4503

Malacanang assures govt’s security measures in place

MANILA, May 2 (PNA) – The Aquino administration assured that the government’s security measures are in place saying that the national security forces are on full alert to avert any terror attacks from secessionist groups following a United States government report on the the death of terrorist leader Osama bin Laden.

In a media briefing in Malacañang on Monday, Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda bared that all measures are in place although there are no reports yet of any possible retaliatory attacks from local factions linked to the Al Qaeda group.

“Right now we are not aware of any possible retaliatory attacks but again, like the President (Aquino) said we have taken all relevant precautions and steps to ensure the security and safety of our people”, Lacierda said.

Lacierda noted that President Benigno S. Aquino III has been constantly communicating with his key security officials to closely monitor the movements in major places of concern in the country.

“The President is in constant communication with the National Security Adviser so we have taken all relevant precautions. So far, we have already communicated also with the AFP, PNP, NAIA so everything is in place, the necessary precautions are there…”, he said.
Lacierda added that the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) have already directed their respective concerned units to step up measures to ensure the safety of the Filipino people.

“Just to let you know, we have spoken to the PNP, we are currently at full alert…this full alert has been in place since the Holy Week and the AFP’s Gen. Ed Oban has asked his J2 to do an assessment on the situation as well as his J3 to monitor the situation in Mindanao…”, Lacierda stressed.

Also being closely monitored, Lacierda said, are the key diplomatic installations and airports in the country.

“We have not received any request from the US Embassy but the PNP has taken the initiative of enhancing security of the patrols in the US embassy premises,…”, Lacierda said.

“This has been ongoing anyway, the fight against terrorism has been ongoing. So, this has not changed our level of vigilance towards terrorism”, he said.

“Because of this unprecedented event (reported death of Bin Laden), we’re making sure that all the agencies are in place and all our steps are in place. Also we’d like to mention that the NAIA administrator, Gen. Honrado has increased security also in the airports…” Lacierda said.

On Monday, (Manila time), US president Barrack Obama confirmed the al-Qaeda leader’s death, saying he has been killed in a firefight following the US raid in Abbottabad.
President Obama said bin Laden, the most-wanted fugitive on the US list, has been killed on Sunday in a US operation in the Pakistani city of Abbottabad, about 150 km north of Islamabad.

About the Author