(818) 552-4503

Group tells Trillanes: Shut up

Posted On 2014 Aug 21
Comment: Off
Soldiers march during an Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) change of command ceremony at Camp Aguinaldo military headquarters in Quezon city, Metro Manila back in January 2013. Senior officers said a two-mile run could be “life-threatening” to troops, and have shortened a fitness test to compensate after three officers have collapsed and died doing the fitness tests since 2010. (MNS photo)

Soldiers march during an Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) change of command ceremony at Camp Aguinaldo military headquarters in Quezon city, Metro Manila back in January 2013. Senior officers said a two-mile run could be “life-threatening” to troops, and have shortened a fitness test to compensate after three officers have collapsed and died doing the fitness tests since 2010. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Senator Antonio Trillanes IV has earned the ire of a leftist group for proposing that retired major general Jovito Palparan be placed under military custody due to threats to his life.

In a statement, the Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya) said Trillanes is tolerating the alleged abuses committed by Palparan for making the suggestion.

“This military man (Trillanes) should keep his mouth shut and not intervene on Palparan’s case, he knew nothing about what the families of the victims of Palparan’s terror are going through to say that the AFP should ensure Palparan’s safety,” Pamalakaya Vice-Chairperson Salvador France said.

He also urged Justice Secretary Leila De Lima to urge the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) not to interfere any longer with Palparan’s case, saying the NBI has nothing to do anymore after capturing Palparan.

Palparan, who is one of the accused in the 2006 disappearance of UP students Sherlyn Cadapan and Karen Empeño, was arrested in Sta. Mesa, Manila last week. The retired military officer has been dubbed “The Butcher” for allegedly ordering the summary killings of communist rebels.

In his statement, France said assigning a platoon of soldiers to secure Palparan “is absurd and is an insult to the families of his victims.”

He accused the government of protecting the “number one human rights violator”, saying Palparan should experience the life of an ordinary prisoner.

“Saying there’s a death threat to Palparan means he is guilty of all the crimes,” he said. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts