MANILA (Mabuhay) – The shipping industry has so far lost around $5.4 billion in revenues since February due to the continued implementation of the daytime truck ban in Manila, the Association of International Shipping Lines Inc. (AISL) said Wednesday.
AISL president Patrick Ronas told lawmakers at the congressional hearing on the economic impact of the city-wide truck ban that shipping lines have been incurring losses as vessels remain at a standstill near the Port of Manila, where they need to berth to unload their cargo.
The cargo movement in Manila’s Port Area has slowed down as trucks are limited to plying their routes during particular hours due to the daytime truck ban.
The daily charter rate for the vessels that arrive in Manila is $10,000.
“[The truck ban] has resulted in a very long berthing time for vessels…Tuluy-tuloy ang bayad sa barko kahit nakatigil. If it’s stranded in the breakwater and can’t berth in Manila, the shipping companies still need to pay $10,000 a day until the ship departs or goes to another pier,” he said.
The truck ban was announced by Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada last February to help alleviate the worsening traffic in the streets of the city.
The Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) has said that the daytime truck ban in Manila and other related transport problems has led to a backlog in the delivery of goods that helped worsen the congestion of cargoes in Manila’s ports. (MNS)