MANILA (Mabuhay) – A group trooped to North Avenue station of Metro Rail Transit (MRT) in Quezon City to call for the resignation of Transportation and Communications Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya.
Riles Laan sa Sambayanan (RILES) Network spokesman Sammy Malunes said the group does not believe that last week’s MRT accident at the Taft Avenue station was due to “human error,” as indicated in the Department of Transportation and Communications report.
Malunes said the accident was caused by “policy error”. He said the government and the MRT’s maintenance provider, APT Global, have been remiss in their duty of ensuring the safety and efficiency of the MRT system despite the supposed availability of funds.
Last August 13, an MRT train overshot its track and then crashed into a barrier at the Taft Ave. station.
The accident happened as another train was pushing a distressed train stuck in between Magallanes and Taft Avenue stations.
Instead of stopping, the first train was detached from the second train and crashed through the barrier because it had no brakes. The crash left over 30 passengers wounded.
Abaya on Tuesday said the drivers of the distressed train and the assisting train, and two more from the control center are facing administrative charges for “poor coordination and reporting procedures” in the operation of the system.
“We checked on the material failure [there was none]. Those trains – if you conduct the proper procedures – they will couple [lock],” he said. (MNS)