TALISAY CITY, Feb 20 (Mabuhay) — The government has set its eyes on Cebu to improve its infrastructure for the benefit of the province’s trade and tourism sectors, President Benigno S. Aquino III said on Tuesday.
The President, who arrived in Cebu Tuesday, said his administration has been working to improve Cebu’s road networks as well as its international airport so that the province could move forward.
He also reported that since he assumed office in 2010, the anti-corruption fight of the government made it possible for the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to save around P12 billion.
“Hindi nga po nagpapahuli ang DPWH sa pag-aasikaso ng makabuluhang imprastraktura dito sa Cebu upang lalo pang mapaunlad ang inyong turismo at komersiyo,” the President said in his speech during a meeting with local officials of Cebu Tuesday night.
Among the ongoing construction works in Cebu include the construction of the North Hagnaya Wharf Road, which serves as the gateway to the popular Bantayan Island in the province.
The North Hagnaya Wharf Road will be completed this month, according to the President.
This June, the President said he expects that rehabilitation works of Ouano Avenue will be finished, cutting the travel time from Cebu to Mactan International Airport from one hour to 30 minutes.
The widening of the Mactan Circumferential Road will also start soon, the President said adding that this will make travel from one place to another within the island easier and more convenient especially for tourists.
In his last state-of-the-nation address (SONA), the President said the upgrade of the Mactan International Airport will also start soon. He said his administration eyes to complete the upgrading of the airport before he steps down from power in 2016.
Aside from focusing on improving the province’s infrastructure, the President said he is also working on expanding the social services to the people of Cebu as well as the entire country.
At the national level, the number of poor families benefiting from the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program of the government is around three million as of December last year. The government targets to make it 3.8 million households this year.
“Dito po sa Cebu, namumuhunan na tayo sa kinabukasan ng mahigit 97,000 kabahayan upang umagapay sa kanila palayo sa kahirapan at palapit sa kaunlaran,” he said noting that the important thing is to ensure that kids remain in school, graduate and find jobs eventually.
“Ito nga po ang mga pinipitas nating positibong bunga ng pagtahak sa tuwid na daan,” he said.
The President asked Cebu residents to support the coalition candidates so that the reform agenda of his administration could continue in the next three years.
The President was accompanied in his Talisay City visit by Transportation and Communication Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya, Sen. Franklin Drilon and the coalition candidates for senators and their representatives. (MNS)