MANILA (Mabuhay) — The fate of three senators who are facing plunder and graft charges in connection with the “pork barrel” scam should remind everyone in government that a “new normal in public service has finally dawned on us,” former Senator and now rehabilitation czar Panfilo “Ping” Lacson said on Thursday.
Lacson, who rejected his ”pork barrel” allocations when he was senator, was referring to Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada and Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr., who were implicated in the P10 billion “pork” scam.
“While it is unfortunate that three and probably more of my former colleagues may have to be incarcerated while undergoing trial, still, I believe that’s the way to go if only to remind everyone in government that a ‘new normal’ in public service has finally dawned on us, courtesy of COA, DOJ and the Ombudsman,” Lacson said in a text message.
COA is Commission on Audit while DOJ is Department of Justice.
“The Filipino taxpayers deserve a break from the hubris and arrogance of many lawmakers and other executive officials who thought all along that callousness as a way of life will remain unchecked as long they are in a position of power,” he said.
Lacson’s name was mentioned in the news again after he had been reportedly approached by Revilla to ask how he evaded arrest during the time of then president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
The former senator reportedly confirmed meeting with Revilla but was mum about it.
Asked if it was true that Revilla asked some tips from him, Lacson said: “I can’t remember. We discussed a lot of things then.” (MNS)