LOS ANGELES (KABC) – One of three workers rescued from a storage tank of blood at Baxter Healthcare Corp. early Friday morning has died.
Authorities responded to Baxter Healthcare Corp. on the 4500 block of West Colorado Boulevard, north of Atwater Village, at 3:57 a.m.
Authorities said one person was working with the cleaning chemicals and was overcome by fumes. When two workers tried to rescue that person, they were also overcome by the fumes.
The worker was cleaning out the tank using an ethanol-based product, said Capt. Jamie Moore of the Los Angeles City Fire Department.
“It was oxygen deficient, which causes asphyxiation,” Moore said.
When rescuers arrived, one person was down in full arrest, Moore said. Firefighters performed CPR on that person, and then rescued two other workers from the tank.
All three victims were transported him to a local hospital in serious condition. Just before 7 a.m., authorities said one of the three workers died at the hospital.
No further information is available at this time.
Baxter Healthcare Corp. manufactures equipment for medical companies.