(818) 552-4503

Court denies Napoles appeal to extend hospital stay

Posted On 2014 May 23
Comment: Off
A doctor checks the condition of businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles at the PNP General Hospital in Camp Crame on Wednesday, February 26. Napoles, alleged mastermind in the P10-B pork barrel scam, has been diagnosed to have ovarian cyst.(MNS photo)

A doctor checks the condition of businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles at the PNP General Hospital in Camp Crame on Wednesday, February 26. Napoles, alleged mastermind in the P10-B pork barrel scam, has been diagnosed to have ovarian cyst.(MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) — A Makati court on Tuesday denied the appeal of alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim Napoles to extend her stay at Ospital ng Makati where she underwent surgery last month.

In a two-page order, Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 150 Judge Elmo Alameda said Napoles should be brought back to her detention cell in Fort Sto. Domingo in Laguna on or before May 23

Alameda ordered the Philippine National Police to provide adequate security for the transfer.

Earlier, Napoles’ camp asked the court anew to extend her hospitalization, this time to allow her to finish her affidavit to be submitted to the Ombudsman.

During the hearing, Alameda said he is set to decide on Napoles’ motion to extend her stay at the Ospital ng Makati, earlier filed by her camp.

“There is no more medical or clinical reason for the extended stay of Janet Lim Napoles. It is also safe to transfer her to Fort Sto. Domingo and it is ready to receive Napoles. This motion is deemed submitted for resolution,” he said.

But Napoles’ counsel, lawyer Stephen David, said there is a need for Napoles to stay in the hospital to be able to finish her affidavit.

He said Fort Sto. Domingo is not a good place to work on her affidavit as the facility has no equipment such as computer and his legal staff are only given limited time to talk with Napoles.

He also said that they will also need to transfer the voluminous documents from Ospital ng Makati to Fort Sto. Domingo just to finish the affidavit.

Alameda said the court has nothing to do with the affidavit and that is not a concern of the court.

David said they need to finish the affidavit to ferret out the truth in the pork barrel scam.

Alameda said it should be the prosecution who should be asking for hospital stay extension if it is with regards to the pork barrel scam.

The prosecution said they were not aware that Napoles is making an affidavit.

“If there is formal request from the prosecution, the court will act on it. If it is from you (Napoles camp), I don’t think the court will act on it,” said Alameda.

David said they will be filing an urgent motion asking the court to extend Napoles’ stay to allow her to finish the affidavit.

Napoles has been confined at the Ospital ng Makati after undergoing surgery last April 23 to remove her uterus and ovaries due to a cyst.

She is detained in connection with a serious illegal detention case involving the pork barrel scam’s principal whistleblower, Benhur Luy.

Napoles also faces plunder charges for the P10-B pork barrel scam and the Malampaya gas fund scam. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts