MANILA (Mabuhay) — The Commission on Elections en banc, in a unanimous decision, ordered on Wednesday the disqualification of incumbent Laguna Governor Emilio Ramon “ER” Ejercito for overspending during the May 2013 elections.
In a press conference, Comelec chairman Sixto Brillantes said the en banc promulgated and upheld the September 2013 decision of the poll body’s First Division.
He said Ejercito shelled out P6 million in just one contract for a television advertisement for his campaign last year. Ejercito is allowed to spend P4.5 million for his entire campaign.
Brillantes said candidates are only allowed to spend P3 per registered voter. Laguna has a total of 1,525,522 voters.
Ejercito won as Laguna governor in the 2013 elections with a total of 549,310 votes.
Brillantes said Ejercito has five days to bring his case before the Supreme Court. If no action is made by that time, the order will be implemented and Laguna Vice Governor Ramil Hernandez will take over Ejercito’s post.
The disqualification case stemmed from a petition filed by Ejercito’s close rival Edgar “Egay” San Luis. Brillantes said the poll body took the cue from the petition and audited Ejercito’s campaign expense report. (MNS)