(818) 552-4503

CBCP head pushes rosary campaign for conversion of pork barrel scam ‘culprits’

Posted On 2014 May 29
Comment: Off
President Benigno S. Aquino III greets His Eminence Orlando Cardinal Quevedo following the Thanksgiving Mass in celebration of his elevation to the College of Cardinals at the Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Quezon Avenue, Cotabato City on Tuesday (March 11). Cardinal Quevedo received his red hat and ring from Pope Francis during a solemn consistory at the St. Peter’s Basilica on February 22, 2014. (MNS photo)

President Benigno S. Aquino III greets His Eminence Orlando Cardinal Quevedo following the Thanksgiving Mass in celebration of his elevation to the College of Cardinals at the Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Quezon Avenue, Cotabato City on Tuesday (March 11). Cardinal Quevedo received his red hat and ring from Pope Francis during a solemn consistory at the St. Peter’s Basilica on February 22, 2014. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – The head of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines on Saturday urged Filipino faithful to pray an extra rosary from May 31 to August 15 for the “conversion” of personalities involved in the P10-billion pork barrel scam.

CBCP president and Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas also encouraged youths to receive communion frequently during these days to “offer prayers for the culprits.”

“I request all our Catholic faithful to pray an extra rosary from May 31, Feast of the Visitation until August 15, Solemnity of the Assumption, and offer it for the conversion of the culprits in the pork barrel scam, for the courage of the witnesses and the healing of our country,” Villegas said on his Facebook page Saturday morning.

He also said the youth and children should receive Holy Communion frequently during these days of prayer.

They should likewise “offer prayers for the culprits, the witnesses and our government,” he added.

“Let us overcome evil by the power of good,” Villegas said.

A rosary, which recalls events in the lives of Jesus Christ and his mother Mary, involves meditating on five Mysteries. Praying the rosary usually includes sets of one Lord’s Prayer, 10 Hail Marys, and a Glory Be.

The multibillion-peso pork barrel scam involved channeling some lawmakers Priority Development Assistance Fund allocations to fake nongovernment organizations allegedly created by trader Janet Napoles. Lawmakers in the scam would reportedly get kickbacks.

So far, at least three senators face plunder charges for the scam – minority leader Juan Ponce Enrile, Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada, and Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. The three had denied involvement in the scam.

Pastoral guidance

In a Pastoral Guidance on the pork barrel scam, Villegas signed, the CBCP also called for an impartial investigation, adding the Church cannot keep silent in the midst of this turmoil.

“We invite all those implicated in the pork barrel scam to allow impartial investigation to take place. If they are in public office, they must NOT use the power of their office to obstruct the pursuit of truth,” it said.

The CBCP also asked media to be fair in protecting the good name of people.

“Let those who have been implicated be given proper forum and proper coverage to explain their actions,” it said.

On the other hand, the CBCP said the Ombudsman should be allowed to do its task to investigate and prosecute those who are at fault.

“The judiciary is the proper venue to bring out justice. Justice delayed is justice denied,” it said.

The CBCP likewise urged those at fault to admit their wrongdoing instead of muddling the issue.

“Let those who are at fault come out and admit their wrongdoings rather than hurling denials and counter-accusations, thus muddling the issue to the confusion of the people. What is stolen must be returned. The good name destroyed must be repaired,” it said.

The CBCP also said that while it is “much saddened” by the pork barrel scandal, it is grateful that in “God’s Providence the scam is coming to light.”

“Truth ultimately comes out. This should make public officials careful that they do not abuse the trust given to them. This also invites all of us to be vigilant over our public officials. There should be public accountability over public trust,” it said. (MNS)

MANILA, May 24 (Mabuhay) – The head of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines on Saturday urged Filipino faithful to pray an extra rosary from May 31 to August 15 for the “conversion” of personalities involved in the P10-billion pork barrel scam.

CBCP president and Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas also encouraged youths to receive communion frequently during these days to “offer prayers for the culprits.”

“I request all our Catholic faithful to pray an extra rosary from May 31, Feast of the Visitation until August 15, Solemnity of the Assumption, and offer it for the conversion of the culprits in the pork barrel scam, for the courage of the witnesses and the healing of our country,” Villegas said on his Facebook page Saturday morning.

He also said the youth and children should receive Holy Communion frequently during these days of prayer.

They should likewise “offer prayers for the culprits, the witnesses and our government,” he added.

“Let us overcome evil by the power of good,” Villegas said.

A rosary, which recalls events in the lives of Jesus Christ and his mother Mary, involves meditating on five Mysteries. Praying the rosary usually includes sets of one Lord’s Prayer, 10 Hail Marys, and a Glory Be.

The multibillion-peso pork barrel scam involved channeling some lawmakers Priority Development Assistance Fund allocations to fake nongovernment organizations allegedly created by trader Janet Napoles. Lawmakers in the scam would reportedly get kickbacks.

So far, at least three senators face plunder charges for the scam – minority leader Juan Ponce Enrile, Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada, and Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. The three had denied involvement in the scam.

Pastoral guidance

In a Pastoral Guidance on the pork barrel scam, Villegas signed, the CBCP also called for an impartial investigation, adding the Church cannot keep silent in the midst of this turmoil.

“We invite all those implicated in the pork barrel scam to allow impartial investigation to take place. If they are in public office, they must NOT use the power of their office to obstruct the pursuit of truth,” it said.

The CBCP also asked media to be fair in protecting the good name of people.

“Let those who have been implicated be given proper forum and proper coverage to explain their actions,” it said.

On the other hand, the CBCP said the Ombudsman should be allowed to do its task to investigate and prosecute those who are at fault.

“The judiciary is the proper venue to bring out justice. Justice delayed is justice denied,” it said.

The CBCP likewise urged those at fault to admit their wrongdoing instead of muddling the issue.

“Let those who are at fault come out and admit their wrongdoings rather than hurling denials and counter-accusations, thus muddling the issue to the confusion of the people. What is stolen must be returned. The good name destroyed must be repaired,” it said.

The CBCP also said that while it is “much saddened” by the pork barrel scandal, it is grateful that in “God’s Providence the scam is coming to light.”

“Truth ultimately comes out. This should make public officials careful that they do not abuse the trust given to them. This also invites all of us to be vigilant over our public officials. There should be public accountability over public trust,” it said. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts