MANILA, Dec 13 (Mabuhay) -– The death toll from Typhoon Pablo has climbed to 902, with the figure expected to rise further as 934 remain missing, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Thursday.
The NDRRMC said 567 of the bodies have been identified.
Most of the deaths were reported in the devastated provinces of Davao Oriental (404) and Compostela Valley (440).
At least 505 remain missing in landslide- and flashflood-hit Compostela Valley, while 108 have yet to be accounted for in Davao Oriental, where the typhoon made its first landfall last week.
Meanwhile, 296 of the more than 300 fishermen who were earlier reported missing in the waters of General Santos City have been rescued.
NDRRMC Executive Director Benito Ramos said the 296 fishermen, who belong to different fishing companies, were found adrift in the part of the Pacific Ocean near Palau.
Ramos said the fishermen survived in the water for six days without food.
The rescued fishermen were from LPS Fishing (109), RLGFI Corp (69), RAFI, Inc. (52), Rojela Fishing (40), Salazar Fishing Industry (23), and DGC Fishing Corp. (3).
Ramos said search and rescue operations will continue since 9 other fishermen are still missing.
The NDRRMC said at least 5,474,313 were affected by the typhoon. Of the affected residents, 79,885 remain inside evacuation centers.
The cost of damage from the typhoon now stands at P15.1 billion. (MNS)