(818) 552-4503

7 out of 10 Pinoys OK RH Law – survey

Posted On 2014 Apr 08
Comment: Off
Protesters display placards during a rally March 19 at the Philippine Supreme Court in Manila to protest the court’s issuance of a 120-day status quo ante order, or a four-month delay, of the implementation of the Reproductive Health Law. (AP photo/Bullit Marquez)

Protesters display placards during a rally March 19 at the Philippine Supreme Court in Manila to protest the court’s issuance of a 120-day status quo ante order, or a four-month delay, of the implementation of the Reproductive Health Law. (AP photo/Bullit Marquez)

MANILA  (Mabuhay) – A survey conducted by the Social Weather Stations revealed that about 70 percent of Filipinos or seven out of 10 respondents are in favor of the controversial Reproductive Health Law.

The survey was commissioned by pro-RH group The Forum for Family Planning and Development. The result was released to the media on Monday, a day before the Supreme Court en banc is expected to decide on the fate of the RH Law.

Although 68 percent of the respondents were aware of the RH Law (the remaining 32 percent learned about the law during the survey itself), the SWS survey noted that 72 percent are in favor of the controversial measure.

The 84 percent of the survey respondents agree that “The government should provide free supply or service to the poor who wish to use any family planning method.”

Likewise, 77 percent agree that “The RH Law follows what the Constitution should stand for, so it s only proper for the Supreme Court to allow it.”

The SWS survey was conducted last March 27 to 30 with 1,200 respondents from Metro Manila, the rest of Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. The survey has a three percent error margin.

The RH Law has been signed into law in December 2012 but the Supreme Court stopped its implementation for 120 days in March 2013. Subsequently, the high court extended its ruling to stall the law’s implementation.

Before the coveted SC ruling on the controversial measure, both pro- and anti-RH groups have started their online and offline campaigns on their advocacies.

Akbayan Party-list, a pro-RH group, said they will hold a road trip to Baguio City called “Rolling Hot for RH Law” on Tuesday to join groups that are calling on the high court to uphold the law.

The Supreme Court is holding its summer sessions in Baguio City.

Ang kabataan ay sumasama sa laban na ito. Hindi ka pupunta roon para lang magpalamig kung ‘di para mapainit ang laban sa RH Law,” Anakbayan youth representative Rafaela “Paeng” David said in a press conference on Monday.

The group also took their action online by promoting hashtags like #Yes2RH and #SelfieForRH.

For his part, Anakbayan Rep. Barry Gutierrez is optimistic that the Supreme Court will rule in their favor.

“We expect the Supreme Court to uphold the law to end the long wait for the law’s implementation,” he said during the same press conference.

“Hopefully, this would be the final hurdle,” he added.

Asked what would be their remedy if the high court ruled against them, he said: “A motion for reconsideration is the obvious remedy or back to the drawing board in Congress.”

Even before April, the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines has been tapping SMS and Facebook to oppose the controversial measure.

CBCP has sent text messages to Catholics late last month seeking their prayers for the defeat of the measure.

Meanwhile, CBCP Commission on Family and Life executive secretary Fr. Melvin Castro posted a copy of the Mandatory Prayer for the Protection of the Family and All Human Life, which aims to have the RH Law declared as unconstitutional.

A prayer vigil and ringing of bells were also scheduled before and during the Supreme Court’s deliberations. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts